About Aerobics
NEW!
Share: Share on Facebook Tweet This Share on Delicious

Healthy Eating

Dieting's primary drawback is that once you stop dieting, the pounds pile back on. Many people even gain additional weight after stopping a diet, which sends them back to dieting, which starts the cycle again.

Beauty Tips Girl Friday

Years of dieting and stopping, then starting again can increase your weight each time as your body slows its metabolism to adjust to periods of feast and famine. The way to stop your body from sabotaging your weight loss in its attempt to keep you alive is to stop dieting and try to reach a permanent solution.

Talking about diet and permanence can lead straight to depression as people start thinking of all the foods they can "never eat again"! The trick is not to diet but to pay attention to the foods you are

eating. Try to do your best to give your body the support it needs in building lean muscle, burning fat and providing you with the energy you need. Good nutrition is essential to good health: eating badly can wreck your complexion, make you fat and affect your mental health, so it's important to know what constitutes good eating.

Researchers have discovered that eating highly refined carbohydrates in the form of breads, cookies and snacks creates a spike in your blood sugar that then drops into the nether regions, leaving you exhausted, irritable and with no concentration. The spike occurs because the refined carbs are metabolized fast, so the blood sugar rises high but then dips just as quickly as the nutrients are taken into the blood stream.

Eating a candy bar on your morning break is a perfect example of things that harm your blood sugar. You're hungry, so you grab a Snicker's bar and wolf it down. It's turned into instant energy which then almost as instantly dissipates, leaving you with a sugar crash that causes students to fall asleep in class and employees to nod off at morning meetings. After the crash, you feel headachy, groggy and out of sorts, so it's time for another candy bar, right? Wrong! The thing you most feel like eating is exactly the thing you should avoid. Instead of charging the candy machine like an angry fullback, pull out a little container of brown rice or yogurt and wolf that down instead. Real foods are metabolized more slowly, gradually increasing your blood sugar and then gradually being taken up by the rest of the body. The slow rise and fall of blood sugar prevents you from experiencing that "I'm so hungry I could die" feeling and keeps your energy and mood more stable.

Eat for Your Physical Health

Nutrition experts recommend we replace junk food, tasty but high in fats, refined sugars and carbs, with actual food like beans, grains, veggies, fish and meat or milk products. In fact, food mavens say that if you try to eat the right foods 80% of the time (that's four meals out of five), you can goof off and eat naughty foods the other 20% of the time without suffering much in the way of weight gain. The Japanese of Okinawa, the longest lived people in the world, have a saying about food that goes, "hara hachi bu" which means, 'eat until you're 80 percent full". Even reminding yourself to "hara hachi bu" partway through a meal can help you cut back a little on portions without feeling cheated because you are also reminding yourself that you're doing good things for your body.

The Right Foods

Eat single ingredient foods. Rice has rice, not hydrolyzed vegetable protein, palms kernel oil and BHT. If we only ate what we could recognize, we'd be as healthy as the Okinawans, because one main feature of junk food is that it has dozens of ingredients, strange chemicals that either taste good on the tongue or preserve junk food indefinitely. If you eat a packaged rice with a packet of premade sauce, you're now eating rice that's been made into junk. But if you eat what you know, you'll not only save vast amounts of calories, you'll be eating healthier and saving money. Junk food, pound for pound, costs a lot more than real food does.

Continue reading the next aerobics article on iron deficiency

Click to Add this Fitness Article on Your Favorite Social Media

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Get Weekly Health
& Fitness Advice
Fitness Tips Newsletter

Receive free practical fitness tips delivered weekly to your email box with contributions from personal trainers, aerobics instructors, nutitionists, and healthy living professionals. Subscription can be easily stopped at anytime.
E-mail Instructions:
Your privacy always comes first and your email address is never shared with anyone ever.
Name
Email